Aparan, Aragatsotn, Armenian Genocide Memorial

   search memorials
Subject:The victims of 1915 Armenian Genocide and the martyrs of the 1918 Battle of Aparan. (view image)
Type of Memorial:Inscription, Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic
Placement:A large scale freestanding structure with three niches. Each houses a freestanding sculptural work consisting of three separate and distinct modern Khatchkars(cross-sones). The structure is rected outside of the town.
Physical Setting:Outside of the town, on flat land.
Tourist Amenities:No
Physical Condition:Not in very good condition, exposed to the elements.
Inscription:"1915 To the Victims of the Genocide and 1918 To the Heroes of the Aparan Battle."
Location:War Memorial
Aparan, Aragatsotn Province Armenia
Location Description:Go to the town of Aparan and ask the inhabitants. Might be visible from the road into the town.
Construction Completed:1950s or 1960s
Prior Use of Site:Empty site.
Development/Construction Process:Since the authorities of the Soviet Union never officially acknowledged the fact of the Armenian Genocide, monuments commemorating the victims of the Genocide installed during Soviet rule were built as abstract constructions. This abstract memorial commemorating an act of resistance or self-defense is an indirect reference to the Genocide. This memorial is among those Soviet monuments which were initiated and financed by local community members and never received an official dedication.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Soviet State before 1991 and the State of Armenia after 1991.
Additional Information:Ghalazian, Kim. Monuments of Glory. Yerevan: Hayastan Press, 1986.

Click on an image for a detailed view.