|Subject:||The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. (view image)|
|Type of Memorial:||Inscription, Monumental Sculpture|
|Sponsor(s):||City of Brussels and Belgium-Armenian community.|
|Architect/Designer/Artist:||Khatchkar brought from Armenia – artist unknown.|
|Placement:||Freestanding, sculptural work in a public space.|
|Physical Setting:||Flat land.|
|Physical Condition:||Very well preserved.|
Inscription text: "Au 1,500,000 arméniens victimes du genocide ordonne par les dirigeants ottomane du 1915."
(Translation: “In the memory of the Armenian victims of the genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman authorities of 1915.")
|Location:||Bruxelless, (Brussels) Belgium|
|Dedication Date:||Early 1990s|
|Prior Use of Site:||Public property.|
|Development/Construction Process:||Constructed of a gray-stone footing and red Armenian tufa. Inscription is carved on the lower section. The upper “Khatchkar” was probably shipped from the Republic of Armenia.|
|History of Ownership:||Owned by the city of Brussels.|
|Additional Information:||Kidd, Kristen. “Perpetual Reminders,” Armenian International Magazine. |
(April 1999), pp. 48-50.
Click on an image for a detailed view.