|The monument denotes the burial site of the remains of an estimated 300 very young Armenian children who were placed in a Turkish orphanage at this location in 1915 for the purpose of converting them into Muslim Turks. The remains were discovered in 1993. (view image)
|Type of Memorial:
|Stand alone monument.
|The monument is on flat land next to a hillside.
|Function during Genocide:
|History of Ownership:
|The memorial is situated on the grounds of a Catholic college run by Lazarist Fathers. The building utilized as the orphanage was constructed before WWI and remains in use by the Catholic school, which is located in the Lebanon mountains above the city of Beirut.
|The verification of the reports about the orphanage and the installation of the monument was spearheaded by Maurice Kelechian
|"Living proof of the Armenian Genocide" Robert Fisk, The Independent (March 9, 2010).
Click on an image for a detailed view.