Memorial in Tehran, Iran.

   search memorials

Subject:The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. (view image)
Type of Memorial:Inscription, Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):Arsen Der-Hakopian, in the memory of his parents, Gregory & Mashinka Der-Hakopians.
Architect/Designer/Artist:Architect: Seroj Sukazian (first stage).
Placement:Freestanding sculptural work that is located on flat land against the courtyard wall. The monument is a composition of three Khatchkars and other iconographic elements.
Physical Setting:Located in the courtyard of Saint Sargis Armenian Apostolic Church of Tehran. Flat land, street level.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:Saint Sargis Armenian Apostolic Church of Tehran.
Physical Condition:Very well preserved.
Inscription:"In the memory of the countless martyrs of the Armenian nation: 1915, April 24." (Translated from Armenian and Persian).
Location:Villa Avenue No. 355
Tehran, Tehran Iran
Location Description:The monument is not marked outside of the Church property. It is visible at the entrance of the perimeters of the Church.
Design Date:1969-71
Construction Began:1971
Construction Completed:1973
Dedication Date:April 24, 1973
Prior Use of Site:Courtyard of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
Development/Construction Process:The construction was done in two stages that involved two sets of design ideas and two sets of construction processes. The first stage included a simple central monument to be surrounded by a pinkish-red wall. The second stage included the removal and replacement of the central monument with the present one. Material: White Marble.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Armenian Church of Tehran.
Commemorative Activities:Annual commemoration and memorial services by the Iranian-Armenian community and the Armenian Patriarch of Tehran.
Notable Visitors:Archbishop Artak, Prelate of Northern Iran.
Additional Information:‘Alik’ daily magazine, Tehran (1975).

85 Commémoration du Génocide des Arméniens. Publication du Comité uni pour la Commémoration du Génocide arménien. Montréal, 2000.

Click on an image for a detailed view.