|Subject:||The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. (view image)|
|Type of Memorial:||Monumental Sculpture|
|Sponsor(s):||Egyptian-Armenian community and the Armenian Patriarchate (Diocese) of Egypt.|
|Placement:||The Khatchkar carving is fixed on the indoor wall of the St. Gregory The Illuminator, Armenian Cathedral of the Patriarchate.|
|Physical Setting:||Indoor space and fixed to the a green marble wall.|
|Map Designation:||The Armenian Diocese - St. Gregory The Illuminator Armenian Cathedral.|
|Physical Condition:||Very well preserved.|
|Inscription:||“1915 – 1965.” |
“In the Memory of more than 1 ½ Million Victims." (Translated from Armenian).
|Location:||St. Gregory The Illuminator Armenian Cathedral, 179 Avenue Ramses, P.O. Box 48|
|Construction Began:||Early 1960s|
|Prior Use of Site:||Wall of the Cathedral.|
|Development/Construction Process:||The memorial consists of a two feet by one foot square that is fixed to the wall at eye level. A second square that is a Khatchkar is placed at the center of the larger square with a central cross. Two mediaeval bird icons decorate the lower sides of the larger square.|
|History of Ownership:||Owned by the Armenian Patriarchate of Cairo.|
|Additional Information:||Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.|
Kourouian, Rafy. “In the land of Pharaohs." Armenian International Magazine (April 1999) pp. 52-56.
Click on an image for a detailed view.