Memorial Complex in Stepanakert, Artsakh

   search memorials

Subject:In honor of the 22,000 inhabitants of Nagorno Karabagh who died during the Great Patriotic War (World War II), in memory of the 1990s Artsakh War dead, and in the memory of the victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide.
Type of Memorial:Cemetery, Inscription, Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):Part of the complex is sponsored by the post-WWII Soviet authorities; the new part is sponsored by authorities of Nagorno Karabagh.
Placement:The memorial complex is located outside the city of Stepanakert; it consists of 3 distinct parts.
Physical Setting:flat land.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:Mapped as “Memorial Complex of Stepanakert”
Physical Condition:Well preserved.
Inscription:Inscription of victim's names.
Location:Memorial Complex
Stepanakert, Askeran District Armenia
Construction Began:After 1945
Dedication Date:1945-50
Prior Use of Site:WWII memorial monument complex and cemetery.
Development/Construction Process:The Memorial Complex, built in honor of the 22,000 inhabitants of Karabagh who died during WWII, is recognized as one of the best memorial complexes in the former USSR. In the center of the Memorial there is an obelisk (21 meters high) dividing the monument into 3 main parts. On the left and right sides of the obelisk, six pylons, made of black tuff stone, rise upwards; an eternal flame burns in front of it. During WWII, the regional hospital served as a military hospital & heavily wounded soldiers were transported there from the front line. Those who died were entombed in the Common Grave formed on the opposite hill. This consists of the second part of the memorial complex; the names of the soldiers, from various nationalities, who died here are etched on the granite stones. The third part of the complex is a cascade pool with a fountain and seven ‘weeping’ springs constructed in the style of traditional Armenian monuments and classic ornamental art. On the Wall of Triumph, there are scale bas-reliefs depicting war. On the granite pedestals there are etched portraits of Karabagh soldiers who were honored as Heroes of the Soviet Union. The newest part of the complex is the cemetery where the Artsakh War dead are buried.
History of Ownership:From 1945 to 1990, owned by the Soviet authorities of the region of Azerbaijan. From 1991 to the present, owned by the Republic of Nagorno Karabagh.
Additional Information:Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.