Memorial Chapel in Antelias, Lebanon

   search memorials

Subject:The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. (view image)
Type of Memorial:Cemetery, Commemorative Plaque
Sponsor(s):Mr. Vahram Eteujian, in memory of his parents.
Architect/Designer/Artist:Renovation by architect: Mr. Dikran Kalustian.
Placement:A freestanding chapel on the ground.
Physical Setting:Flat land; in monastery courtyard.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:The Armenian Catholicate of Cilicia.
Physical Condition:The Chapel was renovated in 1993 though the sponsorship of Mr. Antranig Beuyukian in memory of his father. The architect who did the renovation was Mr. Dikran Kalustian. The Chapel is currently in very good condition.
Location:Armenian Monastery of the Catholicate of Cilicia
Antelias, Mount Lebanon Lebanon
Construction Completed:1938
Dedication Date:April 24, 1938
Opening Date:April 24, 1938
Renovation Date:1993
Prior Use of Site:The grounds of the monastery.
Development/Construction Process:A small chapel erected at Antelias was the only Genocide commemorative monument until 1965. The Chapel was renovated in 1993.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Armenian Catholicate of Cilicia.
Commemorative Activities:Every other year, the Armenian community of Lebanon and Syria visit the monument on April 24. The pilgrimages are alternated between this and the monastery (Vank) of the Catholicate of Cilicia in the city of Bikfaya, Lebanon.
Additional Information:Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.

85 Commémoration du Génocide des Arméniens. Publication du Comité uni pour la Commémoration du Génocide arménien. Montréal, 2000.

Click on an image for a detailed view.