Memorial in Jerusalem, Israel.

   search memorials

Subject:The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide and the Armenian Legion of 1917.
Type of Memorial:Inscription, Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):Armenian community and Armenian Patriarchy of Jerusalem.
Placement:On the ground.
Physical Setting:An inscribed stone in the Armenian Cemetery.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:Armenian Cemetery
Physical Condition:Well preserved.
Inscription:Name of 25 men of the Armenian Legion of 1917. (Translated from Armenian).
Location:Armenian Cemetery of Old City
Jerusalem, Israel
Construction Completed:1917
Prior Use of Site:Cemetery since the 4th Century AD.
Development/Construction Process:One of the gates of the Old City, located along the southern end of the Armenian Quarter, is currently called Zion Gate. It opens to a street outside the wall, currently called Hativat Ezyioni (Zion Street). This street runs between the southern wall of the city and the Armenian cemetery adjacent to St. Savior Armenian Convent and the Biblical House of Caiaphas. The centerpiece of the cemetery is an inscribed stone with the name of the 25 Armenian men who gave their lives in 1917. It also serves as a reminder of the Armenian victims of the Turkish genocide in 1915.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the Armenian community of Israel.
Commemorative Activities:Commemoration activities occur every April 24 and are led by the Patriarch of Jerusalem and accompanied by members of the St. James Brotherhood. Armenians gather around this monument in solemn commemoration of the fallen heroes (about 25) whose names are engraved on the monument. They also remember and pray for the victims of the Armenian Genocide.
Additional Information:http://www.armeniaforeignministry.com/

http://www.cilicia.com/armo5z1.html