|Subject:||The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. (view image)|
|Type of Memorial:||Commemorative Plaque, Inscription, Monumental Sculpture|
|Sponsor(s):||Armenian Apostolic Church of Vienna and individual donations from the Austrian-Armenian community and Financial Sponsor: 1/3 of the total cost was donated by Mr. Karpis Papazian.|
|Architect/Designer/Artist:||Architect/Engineer: Beransch Hartunian-Tahmasians, Diplom-Ingenieur.|
|Placement:||Freestanding, sculptural work in the courtyard of the St. Hripsimeh Armenian Apostolic Church and Community Center of Vienna. It is located in the 3rd district of Vienna.|
|Physical Setting:||In the corner of the Church's courtyard. Flat land.|
|Map Designation:||Mapped as “St. Hripsimeh Armenian Apostolic Church” of Vienna.|
|Physical Condition:||Very well preserved.|
|Inscription:||"If our children forget this much evil, let the whole world condemn the Armenian people, 1915-1985.”|
(Armenian inscription on the monument’s pedestal taken from the work of the Armenian poet, Avetis Aharonian).
Vienna, 1030 Austria
|Proposal Date:||1975 - 1979|
|Dedication Date:||April 22, 1984|
|Opening Date:||April 22, 1984|
|Prior Use of Site:||The courtyard of St. Hripsimeh Church.|
|Development/Construction Process:||The monument consists of an abstract metal sculptural design. (see images).|
In 1975, a Genocide Monument Committee was created that included one representative from all of the existing local Armenian organizations. By 1979, the Committee ordered a Khatchkar (cross-stone), that was 25 by 35 centimeters in size, from St. Ejmiatsin, Armenia and installed it into the external wall of St. Hripsimeh Church in Vienna.
Some of the committee members insisted on the construction of a Genocide Monument. A new committee is formed to establish the April-ian Memorial. This Committee becomes under the supervision and financing of Mr. Karpis Papazian with other contributing donors such as Mr. Papazian who donated 1/3 of the project cost.
In 1980, a public contest was called where the Viennese-Armenians voted for their favorite proposal. On November 7th and 23rd, 1980, the committee informed the voters of the artist participants and the result of the voting respectively.
Diplom-Ingenieur Beransch (Razmik) Hartunian-Tahmasians was selected as the winner to volunteerly submit the financial reports and blueprints of his design.
The metal work was executed in Bulgaria and the pieces were then transferred to the courtyard of Vienna’s St. Hripsimeh Church. The monument was dedicated on April 22, 1984 with a public ceremony. It was never relocated to where the architect/engineer had intended it to be placed within the courtyard. To the present day, it remains where it was initially erected.
|History of Ownership:||Owned by the Armenian Apostolic Church and the Armenian community of Vienna.|
|Commemorative Activities:||Annual memorial services on April 24th.|
F. Sargisian, President of Science Academy of Republic of Armenia
Catholicos of all Armenians, Garekin I
V. Oskanian, Minster of Foreign Affairs of Republic of Armenia
G. Haroutounian, Vice President of Republic of Armenia
V. Zitenian, Deputy Prime Minister of Republic of Armenia
A. Mok, Minster of Foreign Affairs of Austria
Vahagn Davtian, Armenian poet
Silva Kapoutikian, Armenian poet
Alicia Kirakossian, Armenian-American-
Hrachia Hovhanissian, Armenian poet
Vahagn Dadrian, Professor & Historian of the Armenian Genocide
H. Golts, Professor & Director of Leprous archives
|Additional Information:||Khosnak (February-March, 1984)|
Haraj (15 March, 1984)
Nor Ashkar (20 March, 1984)
Jahakir (20 April, 1984)
Ararat (5 May, 1984)
Zartonk (26 May, 1984)
Haraj (31 May, 1984)
Ararat (3 June, 1984)
Jahakir (11 July, 1984)
Nairi Calendar 1985 – month of December
85th Commemoration of the Armenian
Genocide. Canada, 2000.
Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.