Memorial in Takhmak neighborhood of Yerevan, Armenia

   search memorials

Subject:The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. (view image)
Type of Memorial:Inscription, Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):Local community and inhabitants of Takhmak.
Architect/Designer/Artist:Architect: Rafael Israelian; Sculptor: Ara Haroutounian
Placement:Freestanding, back-stone stele with icon of eternality, inscription, and an eagle symbolizing the rebirth of life. A small water fountain stands next to the stele.
Physical Setting:On flat land. Located on the corner of the town’s public part.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:Amenities in central Yerevan. No tourist amenities in Tokhmak neighborhood.
Physical Condition:Standing undamaged but not well cared for.
Inscription:“In memory of the 50th anniversary of the Genocide from the inhabitants of the neighborhood, 1915 - 1965” (Translated from Armenian).
Location:Gajegortsneri Street
Tokhmak neighborhood, Greater Yerevan, Yerevan Province Armenia
Location Description:The monument is erected at the very beginning of Gajegortsner Street, which is in the vicinity of the ‘Gaj’ factory (plaster factory).
Construction Began:1965
Construction Completed:1965
Dedication Date:1965-no official dedication
Prior Use of Site:Corner of the street; public space.
Development/Construction Process:Since the authorities of Soviet Union never officially acknowledged the Armenian Genocide, those monuments commemorating the victims of the Genocide, built under the Soviet rule, were abstracted in one way or the other. This memorial is among those Soviet monuments that were initiated and financed by the local community members and never received an official dedication. The monument consists of a stele with inscription and a separate small fountain.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Soviet Union prior to 1991 & the Republic of Armenia after 1991.
Additional Information:Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.

Click on an image for a detailed view.