Memorial Fountain in Nor (New) Arabgir neighborhood of Yerevan, Armenia

   search memorials

Subject:The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide from Arabgir.
Type of Memorial:Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):Local community of Arabgir ancestry.
Architect/Designer/Artist:Architect: S. Kendeghtsian; Sculptor: V. Ohanian
Placement:Freestanding sculptural work with a fountain.
Physical Setting:Flat land.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:Amenities available in central Yerevan
Physical Condition:Standing undamaged but not well cared for.
Location:Fountain-memorial
Nor Arabgir "Komitas" neighborhood, Yerevan Province Armenia
Location Description:The neighborhood is known as the Komitas area and is located north of central Yerevan near “Barekamutiun” Metro stop.
Proposal Date:After 1965.
Design Date:Late 1960s to early 1970s.
Construction Began:Early 1970s,
Construction Completed:1975
Dedication Date:1975
Development/Construction Process:Since the authorities of Soviet Union have never officially acknowledged the Armenian Genocide, those monuments commemorating the victims of the Genocide, built under the Soviet rule, were abstracted in one way or the other. This memorial is among those Soviet monuments which were initiated and financed by the local community members and never received an official dedication. The fountain symbolizes life or rebirth.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Soviet Union prior to 1991 & the Republic of Armenia after 1991.
Commemorative Activities:Dedicated on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Genocide by survivors from Arabgir in Turkey.
Additional Information:Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.