Memorial in Nor (New) Arabgir neighborhood of Yerevan, Armenia

   search memorials

Subject:Arabgir victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide.
Type of Memorial:Inscription, Monumental Sculpture, Path
Sponsor(s):Local community of Arabgir ancestry.
Architect/Designer/Artist:Architect: G. Ghambarian
Placement:Freestanding back-stone dynamic architectural work with several parts: two elevated wings with a central tower holding the Soviet Socialist Armenian emblem. This memorial is located at the end of a stepped path with waterways on both sides.
Physical Setting:On a hill overlooking part of the city.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:Amenities in Central Yerevan
Physical Condition:Standing undamaged but not well cared for.
Inscription:(The names of the fallen members of the Arabgir community.)
Location:Papazian Street
Nor Arabgir neighborhood,better known as Komitas, Yerevan Province Armenia
Location Description:The monument is erected at the very end of Papazian Street, off of Khatchaturian Avenue. The neighborhood is known as the Komitas area and is located North of central Yerevan near the “Barekamutiun” Metro stop.
Construction Began:Late 1970s
Construction Completed:1985
Dedication Date:1985
Prior Use of Site:Unused hill, property of the state.
Development/Construction Process:Since the authorities of the Soviet Union never officially acknowledged the Armenian Genocide, those monuments commemorating the victims of the Genocide which were built under the Soviet rule, were abstracted in one way or the other. This memorial is among those Soviet monuments which were initiated and financed by the local community members and never received an official dedication
History of Ownership:Owned by the Soviet Union before 1991 & the Republic of Armenia after 1991.
Additional Information:Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.