Memorial in Nubarashen, Armenia

   search memorials

Subject:The victims of the 1915 Genocide from the village of Znkush village located in the region of Kesaria (Caesaria/Kayseri, Turkey). (view image)
Type of Memorial:Inscription, Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):Sponsor: Knarik Tukhmanian. In memory of the victims of Znkoosh.
Architect/Designer/Artist:Sculptor: P. Matevosian
Placement:Freestanding back-stone steal with icons of eternity and a fountain.
Physical Setting:Flat land. On corner of the town’s public park.
Tourist Amenities:No
Physical Condition:Well Preserved.
Inscription:“In the memory of Tovmas Toukhmanian and a group of men from Znkush. Memorial from Knarik Tukhmanian.” (Translated from Armenian.)
Location:Central Public Park
Nubarashen, Yerevan Province Armenia
Location Description:Located in Yerevan Province, Nubarashen is the former town of Sovetashen located northeast of central Yerevan. The monument is located at the corner of a large public park along and is near other war memorials.
Construction Began:Early 1970s
Construction Completed:1975
Dedication Date:1975- no official dedication
Prior Use of Site:Public property in the park.
Development/Construction Process:Since the authorities of Soviet Union never officially acknowledged the Armenian Genocide, those monuments commemorating the victims of the Genocide that were built under the Soviet rule, were abstracted in one way or the other. One such way was to not specify the word ‘genocide’ or date ‘1915’ in the inscriptions. This memorial is among these Soviet monuments which were initiated and financed by local community members and never received an official dedication.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Soviet Union before 1991 & the Republic of Armenia after 1991.
Additional Information:Editorial Broad of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.

Click on an image for a detailed view.