Memorial Khachkar in Etchmiadzin, Armenia

   search memorials

Subject:The victims of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. (view image)
Type of Memorial:Inscription, Monumental Sculpture
Sponsor(s):The Catholicate of All Armenians and the Holy Edjmiadsin Cathedral
Architect/Designer/Artist:Rafayel Israelian
Placement:Freestanding, sculptural object in the large courtyard surrounding the main Armenian Apostolic Cathedral.
Physical Setting:Flat land.
Tourist Amenities:Yes
Map Designation:"Saint Mary Mother Cathedral"
Physical Condition:Very well preserved.
Inscription:"Genocide Monument 1915, Hajen, Edessa [Urfa], Zeytun, Musaler [Musa Dagh], Van, Shadagh, Shabin-Karahisar, Marash, Sardarapat, Sasun" [Major sites of the Armenian Genocide]
Location:Saint Mary Mother Cathedral
Edjmiadsin, Armavir Province Armenia
Construction Began:1965
Construction Completed:1965
Dedication Date:1965 (religious ceremony; no official dedication)
Prior Use of Site:Courtyard of the cathedral
Development/Construction Process:The monument consists of four khachkars (cross-stones) flanked by an eagle.
History of Ownership:Owned by the Armenian Apostolic Church, Holy See of Edjmiadsin (Mother Cathedral of Armenia).
Commemorative Activities:Annual religious commemoration on April 24th
Additional Information:Editorial Board of Armenian Encyclopedia. The Armenian Question. Yerevan: 1996.

Click on an image for a detailed view.